Saturday, December 25, 2021

You Need Only Just Ask

I was thinking of days gone by when you were cooking or baking and realized you didn't quite have enough eggs, or baking soda, or brown sugar. You didn't just jump in the car and run to the grocery store. You didn't log on to Aisles On-Line. You just didn't. You called someone close and you asked for what you needed. Then you popped over to get it because they were happy to help. Because they had extra and a willingness to share.

Where did we lose that "I have extra and I'm willing to share?" I'm not saying we've lost it entirely. I'm saying it's diminished, or evolved into something else. I'm also suggesting we struggle with the ability to ask for help. 

We all need to ask for help. We all need to be the one giving it. I remember years ago, I was home with a broken ankle, my Mother-in-law came and cleaned house for me. I was immobilized and mortified. I felt like she would see (and judge) all my flaws and deficiencies, at least in the housekeeping department. None of us like others to see our flaws and deficiencies yet all of us have them. I would never have asked for that help, but she had the good sense of offer and follow through on it. Years later she likely didn't even remember she did that. I remember that instead of embracing the blessing, it felt uncomfortable for me. I missed a lesson that day, but over time those seeds of generosity grew and blossomed. I needed help but was afraid to ask for it.  That was a fairly simple need, no wonder it's hard to ask for help with a bigger need. 

We are born with gifts to give, hands to reach out, hearts to hold and give love. We need connection. We need to both give and receive. We know the pain of isolation. We try to hide our parts that aren't strong, attractive, healthy. We give up rather than show up in our moments of weakness. We push away when we really need to embrace.

Why this message on Christmas? This season of giving and receiving. When we bend over backwards to make everything festive, bright and beautiful. A season where we sometimes feel compelled to connect only with things wrapped in pretty paper topped with bows. What if we connected on a different level. One more basic. One in awe of a baby in a manger. One humbled by the light of a star. One open enough to ask for help with a project, problem or need. Let our connections be the gift. I'm pretty sure when the Angel said be not afraid, I bring you good tidings of great joy, they meant come as you are flaws and all, build connections, and yes, I've got as many eggs as you need. You need only just ask.


No comments:

Post a Comment