Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Big and Little of It

You know the saying, it takes a village...  It's funny how that works.  I've always been a big city girl.  Until about a year ago.  Of course part of me still feels that way.  Probably always will.

But life took us down new roads and I've developed a new perspective about cities, towns, villages.  I am beginning to wonder if the smaller the town the more people you know.  Granted your odds increase when the population decreases. I still miss seeing people I know when we go places out here.  Now if I cross paths with someone it's a huge deal.  First time I ran into someone I knew at the grocery store was a red letter day.

What got me thinking is the conglomeration of people who group together to build a life.  Some are large groups, some are medium, some very small.  Not unlike the pioneers who pulled their wagons into a circle for safety's sake. There are our work groups, church groups, quilting groups, etc.   There are groups that form randomly because of a tragedy. Groups that form in neighborhoods.  You catch my drift. 



We made a big move to a little city, but that only defines the geography of it.     Now we're getting ready to move to an even smaller city.  In the process our world increased.  We used to know bigger cities and the surrounding areas intimately. Now we know many more towns and cities.  The roads that lead to them have expanded our horizons. I guess the bottom line is little places are making a big impact on our life.  Part of that is still scary, but it means we're growing in our little part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment