Sunday, August 2, 2015

Let There Be Pie

As a city girl I had no idea the significance of pie.  Don't get me wrong, pie happened.  It came in a couple shapes and forms.  Pumpkin, pecan, cherry, apple.  It was not my forte, though I can muster up a good pumpkin and a lovely apple.  Perhaps I missed the depth of pie because I only have those two pies up my sleeve.

Let me just say my eyes have been opened.  And I owe it all to rural living. Several times a year now I participate in pie events.  The women's group I belong to does pie in a really big way.  Apple, Cherry, Rhubarb, Rhu-Berry, Strawberry-Rhubarb, Triple Berry, Pear, Apricot, Gooseberry, Pecan, Blueberry, Peach and others I probably have forgotten. May I just say the Pear pie is amazing!



These ladies can probably kick some pie butt in the realm of cream pies too, but for events it's fruit pies only.  You could say I've come to embrace a life of pie.  But, and there is always a but, I accept my limitations.  I clearly own being crust challenged. Double crust pies thwart me at every turn. Yup, I know you can buy frozen pie crusts.  It should be simple.  Lots of things should be simple, and simply are not.

For now I stick with the pies I know how to make and sample all the other's I don't.  It's a good thing, It's a pie thing.  Life dishes up some delicious things and they often come in the shape of pie.



No comments:

Post a Comment