Sunday, November 18, 2018

Unexpected Graces

Last year this time I had to make a decision. I was a mess, life was shattered and there was a dog in need. Frankly, dogs in need trump most everything for me. I didn't feel like I had much of anything to offer, I was barely getting by. But this dog was living with even less than I had to give, so I said yes to him. Some of life's most brilliant decisions evolve in such a grace filled manner. 

 




Hobbs is one of those. Honestly he was the most emaciated foster to ever arrive at my door. It's helpful going into a new foster to have even a little bit of history on them. Are they house broken, crate trained, are they social with other animals.  All valid questions. Sometimes you know stuff on them, sometimes they are a package waiting to be unwrapped. Discovery can be a stressful trial and error process.

I've said before, and firmly believe, that rescue dogs are grateful dogs. Starving dogs even more so. He and I had a lot to give each other. We both needed some intensive nurturing, so day-by-day we did just that. I fed him kibble and love. He fed me love and comfort. We were both grateful. We still are.

As pointers go, he is not the most handsome of dogs.  Adorable in his own way with his bug eyes and under bite.  I've fostered some stunning pointers. I recently had a friend mention that I've always had amazing dogs here. Truly I have. Hobbs reaffirms that love brings out  beauty that may not be obvious from the outside. Don't tell the others, but he may be at the top of my list of favorite pointers. 

So as we enter Thanksgiving week, I have to give thanks for Hobbs. For the huge package of unexpected grace his carried into my life. I wish you the same, in whatever form works for you. May you all experience a Hobbs whenever you most need it. Trust me, it will be life changing.










2 comments:

  1. Your journaling makes me smile, laugh, and cry. It's easy to hear your words as conversation. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete