Monday, April 8, 2019

Stigma

Let's talk about Stigma.  I'm giving it a capital "S". A small caps "s" won't cut it. Stigma from losing someone to suicide. By definition stigma is a mark of disgrace from a particular circumstance, quality or person.

It's there in so many ways, shapes and forms. It's silent, and perceived. It's obvious by what's not said, and what you know is said behind your back. It's judgemental, it's fueled by fear, it's fed by partial truths.  It's a shadow in front of you and behind you at the same time. Before I walked this path, my reaction would likely have been the same. 

It often keeps me quiet in large gatherings, and it keeps others from connecting deeply with me. We stick to safe subjects, as if by not mentioning it, it won't have happened. As if we're likely to forget if it's never mentioned. It makes the question "how are you" a trick question. Some days I don't even know how I'm supposed to be. Is it okay to have good days? Will they all be bad days? Can I have a mix of both? It makes people less inclined to to ask about your life, particularly your past life, but also your current life. It somehow makes me a little sketchy, because God forbid if it can happen to me, it can happen to you. It makes church feel uncomfortable. Partly that is my stuff, because while stigma may make others feel scared of me, it also makes me feel uncertain of them.

There is no shame in this loss. But I fight it daily. It is a tragedy, and a sorrow that he could not find his way to help. That mental illness changed him into someone I no longer recognized. It didn't have to be this way. Yet, for Gordon and many others it seems, in the moment, like the only way. 

I offer you this, it's always okay to mention a tragic loss, a devastating illness, a life changing experience. Not by saying, you'll get over this, or it was for the best, or they are in a better place. Not by ignoring the whole topic. But by saying, I think of you often, I'm here for you, this must feel overwhelming. While we go through frightening experiences, it does not make us frightening, or less of a person. Just a person with more pain, and perhaps more grace because of the pain. Don't define me, or think of me only as a person who lost someone to suicide. I was more than that before, and I am more than that after. But I am different from the experience. Anyone touched by it is. So let's learn together to erase the stigma, to ease the pain, to be there for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment