Tuesday, July 13, 2021

No Such Thing As A Coincidence...or is there?

I had a weird thing happen recently. Life is full of them. Sometimes we laugh them off, sometimes they stop us in our tracks. Sometimes we noodle them in our heads until we figure them out. Other times, they seem beyond coincidental. 

Let me preface it with this....I don't usually believe in signs from our dearly departed. Call me a skeptic, call me jaded, call me whatever. Others do and find great comfort in them. I'm all for great comfort. Who couldn't use more of that? 

Here is the scenario. I was driving through a city recently, not my home town. First I noticed a car with Oklahoma plates pass me. Hmmmm, Oklahoma? My late husband was born there and was a Sooner fan to the core. A bit down the road a car with Nevada plates passed me. He lived most of his life in Nevada. Now maybe the obvious part is that cars pass me constantly, maybe I need to put the pedal to the metal. My kids would probably say yes, absolutely yes. However, I thought it odd I'd see license plates from those two states close together. Next up, to my surprise, was a street exit bearing his name. Okay, now I'm thinking what are the odds??? Odds, clearly beyond my mathematical ability to calculate. This next "coincidence" was a corker. The one that made me think this is way past a random incident. Next was a bill board that read: "63 People Die From Gun Shot Suicide A Day". If I used the F-bomb I would have inserted it there. 

Coincidence or not, it went from amusing to eerie. Like his choice to take his life, I will never make sense of it. I'm not sure why all those pieces fell into place like that. Who know's the if's, the why's, the how's of life?

Strange things happen. Stranger things will happen. Pretty sure this made my top 10 list of strange things. All I know is it has me thinking. Each of us will make of it what we will. Each of us may be right. I don't have to be able to clearly define why that sequence took place. I can simply sit back and say Wow, I can't even begin fathom that. And....that is okay.

1 comment: