Saturday, February 17, 2024

How Does It Fit?

I've been a florist for 30+ years. There is nothing else I'd rather do. And while people often say it must be fun to play with flowers all day, let me say sometimes it's just plain hard work. All jobs, even ones we love, involve hard work. The big holidays in this industry are a marathon of sorts. A big push, with long hours on our feet, hastily grabbed meals eaten standing up, all best approached with humor and tenacity.

I went to work recently and dived into the day. Something felt off, but you know how it is sometimes. You just keep going. I think woman especially do this. Something is not quite comfortable, but you don't have time to sort it out. Perhaps, if we slowed down a minute to think, we'd figure things out. It's that expectation that we have to do more, more, more. So, we try. The older I get the more I realize that I don't have to turn myself inside out to do everything every day. 

Sometimes it's wise to pause and think about how things are fitting.

Case in point, 6 hours into my day I discovered that my leggings were actually on backwards. Hense that nagging sense of discomfort I felt. Did I remedy the problem right away? Oh, heck no. I was too busy. Pushing hard to keep going. Besides, taking time to stop, unlace shoes, take off pants, turn them around, relace shoes seemed like too much work!

Helloooo, what was I thinking? I deserved to be comfortable and not have my leggings in a knot so to speak. It was probably an hour later before I finally took care of my clothing malfunction. 

The good news is I had a "well, duh" moment and took care of myself. Boy did I feel much better after that! The lesson is to pause and listen. Feel how things are fitting and make adjustments as necessary. We can give ourselves permission to do just that. We can, and we should. So glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment