Friday, September 3, 2010

Eloping

Someone we know and love recently eloped. Back in my day - oh Lordy, can't believe I used that phrase, couples did that instead of having a big wedding. They did it for many reasons, but basically, once you were married, you were married. Now days they do both.

There are destination weddings and big receptions back home. There are vow renewals with all the pomp and circumstance that may not have been had when they first got married.

I have to admit I'm a bit envious they just did it! Perhaps that is youth for you. Jump with both feet and trust. At our age, if we jump will we end up with a broken leg or hip?? I admire their lack of fear, but I wonder about their sense of timing.

Funny how we want it all. Especially when it comes to weddings. I was talking to someone recently who raved about wanting to get married, oh, she just couldn't wait. But in the next breath, she admitted she didn't want to be married, she just wanted a wedding. As a woman, I think we all do. Men? Not so much.

Our dream is the dress, the flowers, the reception, the magic. Men's dream is a recliner, a big screen, hunting/fishing/golfing, some regular sex. Can you see where there might be issues??

Still I admire the newlyweds. I pray for their journey in life. And, I'll envy their walk down the aisle when it happens. It's their dream, and our joy to be part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment