Wednesday, September 15, 2010

'Til Death Do We Part

Having been divorced once, this line seems a little dicey to me. I get it's intent. I understand the profound nature of this commitment. I also know that at certain times in a relationship "death" sounds like a viable option.

I'm not referring to anything going on in my life. Things are hunky dory. The irony of this part of wedding vows just hit me.

Then there is the line "in good times and in bad". What if these are the good times? Half of this couple is struggling to find employment in a horrible job market and discouraging economy. If these are the good times, it doesn't bode well for the bad. Plus, I don't even want to consider in "sickness and in health". Let's not jinx anything, okay??

Where does it mention forgiveness in the vows? Because surely he is going to be a man, doing bone head man things. Just as I will be a woman with irrational and crisis ridden moments. We'll both mess up. The best we can hope for is that our melt downs occur on different days.

When we both melt down, let me tell you that "death" clause is oh so tempting. Thankfully, those moments pass quickly, before we can formulate a workable plan. That is where the forgiveness comes into play. And what about laughter?? Do we pledge our hearts to laughter? What about faith, what about communication?

There are so many things written between the lines of wedding vows. We would be wise to read them. Just as we are wise to restrain ourselves from doing bodily harm, to one we love with all our heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment