Friday, January 16, 2015

Roads to Home...

I love Fridays....end of week, end of stress and all roads lead to home.  Any other day of the week it's city streets, to highway, to interstate, to highway, to gravel roads.....ahhhh and home. On Fridays I take the first interstate exit and cruise through the country.  Almost no traffic.  I need that to wind down, to let go, to shift gears.  I don't want to see anyone and if I do, it's a country one finger wave and each goes their own way.  

Roads to home sometimes never even occur on roads.  I have an old dog on the road home too.  His destination is not at all the direction I want him going. Many years ago he changed my life.  In 14+ years I'm pretty sure he's only had one bad day, maybe two tops.  One was the day, shortly after I adopted him, that the cord from the iron caught on his collar.  Like a bat out of hell he raced down the hall, down the stairs, bang, bang, bang.  Pretty sure he thought his tail was on fire. Thankfully, the iron was not hot, nor would it ever be again.  His other day, may not even count as a bad one...just a funny one.  He rooted through the laundry basket and managed to hook a bra over his head.  Out in the yard he went, flying like the wind, bra sailing happily behind him.  To run is to live, bra or no bra.



I am certain his road and mine were meant to be.  Just as I know I'll take his last walk with him no matter where it leads. Roads change in life, and who you travel them with makes all the difference in the world.  My roads used to be all big city roads, now I am happiest when the pavement changes to gravel. Gravel, fields, sunsets and silence.  And a grand old dog at my side.  

No comments:

Post a Comment