Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Things We Suck At

You know what we suck at?  Okay, maybe it's just me, but I'm betting not.  We suck at being open enough to say I'm not doing so well, I'm hurting...I'm not sure I can do this.  I'm struggling.  Granted we have to have a safe place to do just that.  But sometimes we don't share the burden even when we do.

Now you can share the burden and the outcome may be the same.  Or you can share the burden and things are entirely different.  Even if the outcome is the same.  We need a safe place to be a hot mess. I see this in the world of animal rescue and I see it in human relationships.

We have foster dogs who come in with no sense of what is acceptable or not.  No sense of a loving gentle hand.  Funny, humans have the same issues.  We react to drama, to trauma, to lack of love.  We might lash out, or withdraw, we might bite the hand that feeds us.  Pretty sure every foster dog we've had came in with the need to let go of the past, and find love in the future.  They could just be, hot mess and all, and we could love them to newness. Is it easy? No. Is it the same journey every time. Never.  It involves risk. The risk of owning our struggles. Of owning our journey. And it's messy. Lord knows we don't like messy.  Messy suggests a lack of control.  Holy moley, who has a surplus of control in their lives?  Not me, for sure.

Now while we may suck at things it doesn't mean they have to define us.  If you have a need to connect, the connection will be provided.  Your job is to take that risk and embrace the outcome. It's okay to not have it all together. It's okay to struggle. And it's a blessing to share that we do. Trust me on this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment