Saturday, May 7, 2016

Momming

I've been a Mom for a long time.  Long enough that I wish I could go back and do those younger years over.  So I could sit and read to them, or rock them to sleep, or hold their hands as we crossed the street.  Now I find the roles have shifted somewhat.  I go to them for help and encouragement as much as they come to me.  Maybe more.

Sometimes I still can't resist saying typical Mom things.  Let me know when you get home, make wise choices.  Remember my birthday is in August and you don't forget me when you win the lottery.

I'll admit to envying people who have close, loving, healthy relationships with their Mom's.  Mine relationship was never exactly where I wanted it to be.  So I feel both envious and a bit detached on Mother's Day. It is what it is. I know without that relationship I would not be the Mom I am today. So for that I give many thanks.

I'm probably more versatile at being a dog Mom, than I was a human Mom.  Dog throws up, no big deal. Clean it up, move on. Baby throws up, I'd get a bit excited.  Toddler throws up and I shared the urge to hurl myself, sometimes I did. I do find it telling that we have three dogs at all times, the same number of children I had. Two males and a female...another interesting coincidence.  Not planned, but a happy bit of serendipity.

For Mom's I hope and pray it fills your heart, it does mine.  If you don't have children of your own, I hope you find children to connect with and share your love.  All of us need a little Mothering, a tender touch, a shoulder to lean on.  All of us have a child within who needs acceptance and encouragement.  Be that person.





No comments:

Post a Comment