Thursday, September 12, 2019

Speaking My Truth

I had the opportunity to speak my truth on a panel for Suicide Prevention Awareness Week at the company my son works for. Had anyone suggested two years ago that my journey would lead me here I'd have never believed it. Life takes you down unforeseen paths. Sometimes life rolls you into a huge ball of angst and then sorts you out into a workable, grace filled person with a story to tell.

I shared the stage with a young man who attempted to take his own life, a man who had just recently lost a dear friend to suicide, and a man who'd lost two members of his military unit to suicide. Loss, grief, and stigma brought us together to reach out to promote mental health. Together we spoke our truth, and dreamed of times where mental health is openly encouraged and seeking help is commonly accepted. 

I like to think we presented both information and comfort. That our stories may smooth the way for someone who struggles with depression and anxiety. We are simple people graced with life experience and an important message.

As the second anniversary of Gordon's death approaches, this opportunity to speak was especially poignant. That something so inspiring could come from something infinitely tragic does not cease to amaze me. We all have periods of great loss, personal strife and challenges. We also have seasons of growth. Sometimes all at the same time. 

I hope when life gifts you with the opportunity to share your story that you take it. Trust that the words will come as you need them. Embrace the tears that fall as you share, and know that your words are seeds of faith to those listening. 

Who would have thought these four people would end up sharing a stage together? Sharing with passion and purpose a profound message. It was a privilege, it was an honor. It was affirming life and sharing our pain. It is exactly what one would hope would evolve from the aftermath of tragedy.


No comments:

Post a Comment