Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Merging....

Having become a country girl rather than a big city girl, I have to say driving in the big city makes me nervous. I've been told I drive like an old lady now, and that "you" country drivers are way too polite. Truth be told I probably do qualify as an old lady, and I am polite.  

I have to say, though, that merging stresses me out. I always pray, Dear Lord protect my merging.... In the country there wasn't much merging, and if it happened it was much slower and everyone waved. I miss the waving part.

Merging happens in so many realms. We merge onto the interstate, we merge our lives, we merge our attitudes. We merge on the job. We merge our faith base. All merging intending to get us safely from one place to another. It means we take turns, we make room, we adjust ourselves to allow for others.

No wonder it can be scary. Merging involves confidence, and trust. It requires diligence, observation and patience. Most things in life can be scary, require confidence, trust, diligence, observation and patience. Growth fits into this description, grief does as well. Some merging happens at 60 mph. Some merging, such as healing from trauma or loss, happens in small moments over long periods of time. Sometimes it is imperceptible. Still it happens. 

It's okay to be scared of merging. It's okay (more than okay!) to pray your way through the process. I will most likely still pray when I merge, Dear Lord protect me....from that other car. Protect that other car from me. Let me safely in, Lord. Let there be space, let there be light, let there be a place for me to move with the flow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment