Wednesday, September 29, 2021

A Mixed Bag

Most every day, on my way home, I get a brief glimpse of a bright red barn and a lovely new home under construction. It is in the rolling hills, with a stunning view. And I imagine, no, I know this is someone's dream home. They dreamed of the red barn, they wished, worked, hoped and loved this home, on this acreage, into existence. Daily it progresses, dreams to fruition.

Most days I get my glimpse and send good wishes and blessings into the universe for them. For their dream coming true. We see other's dreams come true. We see it in newlyweds, we see it for graduates, we see it in job promotions, in new babies, when people retire, those who travel the world. We see dreams come true. And, we may just have some mixed feelings. 

Life changes sometimes shatter our dreams. Just as life changes can also bring our dreams into reality. It's a mixed bag, this life we live. The view from the distance can be stunning, and perhaps it is. Or, perhaps it isn't as shiny as it looks.

I don't know how long the road has been for the people building this house. But I'd be lying if I didn't wish that was my house, my land, my dream come true. It calls to my country heart and touches on tattered dreams along the way. 

At this junction the temptation is to say, hey now. Look at how blessed you are, how lovely your home is. There are people who would love to have my home, my life, the luxuries of food, clothing, garden, employment, pets, personal freedom....you get my drift. I can be completely grateful for the life I live, and still wish for the house being built in the rolling hills. I can wish for someone to share the process and the end results with. I can even envy them a little. Owning it is the first step. I can plant one foot firmly in gratitude and the other in wishful dreaming with a dash of envy mixed in. That makes me a more honest me. But it also makes me wonder if I've used up all of my dreams come true. Time will tell. Please tell me I'm not alone in this.

So there you have it. A mixture of awe and envy. Both valid feelings. Part of life. So I give myself permission to own all the feelings, and to send good wishes into the universe as someone else's dream comes true. Especially when they include red barns and country homes. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment