Sunday, April 3, 2022

The Good Stuff

I have a week off. For a person who isn't always comfortable with that much alone time, it's a challenge. Let me first say, I am more content and relaxed about time spent at home with just the dogs and I. I can honor what feels right and what doesn't. That also said, I tend to stick to a routine which could use some shaking up once in a while. I am a creature of habit. I'm wondering if too much routine is based on the world being a scary place and the need to feel safe in my little bubble.

I read a quote from the APA that stated "the level of stress resulting from the suicide of a loved one is ranked as catastrophic-equivalent to that of a concentration camp experience". That stress does not completely go away, even as we get further out from it. Because of that I cling to what feels safe and struggle with reaching out to other life opportunities. I stick to the basics, have fear of the unknown, and neglect indulging in simple pleasures. Owning it is the first step.

The dogs are my entertainment, my daily source of companionship and physical touch. Plus, they love me unconditionally. They give me a safe place to invest myself in. In return, they are my everything and their needs come first. Their safety is paramount.

So my challenge this week is to step out of my routine and invite some joy, some small indulgences in my life. Part of the challenge is defining what that looks like, part is following through on them.

Of course I share this, because I figure if I struggle with something, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. Circumstances may be different, but the struggle is similar. See also, owning it is the first step. After owning it, let's challenge it's reality, expand it's horizons and trust we are growing just as we are meant to be. Let's move faith forward into expanding our little world. By baby steps, or by leaps and bounds. Finding some joy in the process, trusting we are safe, and opening our hearts to more of the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment