Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Hello Friend

I have a friend who calls me every week. To her credit, she has seen me, knows my need for connection, and patiently waited out my ability to hold meaningful conversation. She waited for a long time; I think.  Honestly, in the beginning I wasn't very open. I had trouble finding my words. I had difficulty trusting it was safe to just be me. Just the way I am. Add to that the fact I'm sort of an introvert and I have no doubt she felt like she was pulling hens teeth. Thankfully, she's a bit of a talker herself, so she held the conversation fluently when I was learning. I've come a long way conversationally. I tell her in another six years she won't be able to get a word in edgewise. There is something so important to be said here. Call your people. Even if there is not much to say. A human voice, as opposed to a written text, is a joy to hear.

That said, I have a friend who texts with me multiple times a day. My coworkers tease me about the reality of that relationship. They ask if I want to tell them anything. And yes, I would. I would like to tell them her texts help frame my life with humor, understanding, and connectivity. Not to mention accountability, mental health care, a love for food, booze, and dogs that is nothing short of impressive. 

It is about investing in the lives of our friends/family, and friends who are like family. It is about building and sustaining connections. It is the sound of voices we love and words that encourage us.

I'm told people just don't make phone calls anymore. But please do. Call your mom, call your friends, call your siblings, build deeper connections. But also connect in all the other ways we can. With silly text messages, memes, with hundreds of sleeping dog pictures, recipes, weather updates, sarcastic comments and gentle reminders. Throw in an I Love You while you are at it and a text when you get home. It's all good.


No comments:

Post a Comment