Sunday, April 30, 2023

Connections

I had my Facebook page hacked and cloned about three weeks ago. So, this blog is all about connections. I remember when I first joined social media, my Mom poopoo'd the whole concept of friends across the world and why would I have those kind of "friends" when I didn't have especially close friendships with my siblings. That's another whole blog topic, by the way. 

I also realize that losing a social media account is a first world problem. I understand some people see no value and invest no time in it. For them, that is the right approach. For others (me, for one) it provides an avenue for interaction, sharing life, and life stories, shared interests, support and humor. So, losing those connections was significant. Believe me, I wasn't sure what to do with myself at first. I did a lot of reading to fill the time. A lot.

A small army of friends rallied by reporting that I was hacked. Like an underground railroad of friends working on my behalf, mostly unbeknown to me. There were also many who texted me to be sure I knew of the situation. Friends and extended family alike. I am so lucky to have friends like these.

My account has yet to be recovered. It may or may not happen. So, for me there were many losses beyond that of identity, security and connection. I've begun a new page, and have found as I send friend requests, many delete them because they doubt it's a legitimate request. That too is discouraging.

I've yet to figure out exactly what the lesson is in all this. I'll admit to being leery of the whole situation. Less trusting. And more than a little hacked off. I try to have faith in the process and trust in an unknown outcome. That may be the best we can do on any given day.  I miss the connections, the encouragement, the feeling of belonging. There are some cool people out there. Even if, especially if, I know them through social media. 

No comments:

Post a Comment