Sunday, April 2, 2023

Not So Funny

I had someone poke fun at me because I don't have any "action" in my life. Well, the dogs provide all sorts of action, but not that kind of course. Basically, I was teased for being celibate. Now that's awkward, isn't it? 

The first few times it was kind of funny. You know jokes about "it's been so long since...." "do you even remember what it's like...". I'll admit I laughed. But then it became sort of a running joke, and you know what? Not so funny anymore.

I am celibate. I didn't set out to be. I thought I'd be married and in a monogamous relationship. But life had other plans. So, while I didn't set out to be alone, I am. Such is life. To be teased about it sucks on many levels. There is a distinction here. I can joke of things like this, but others don't have this privilege.

Yes, after a while I verbalized that I wasn't okay with this treatment. Maybe we think someone isn't doing life the "proper" way, or they are missing out, or that it's okay to poke fun at them. In every case of teasing there is some truth. What was projected as funny, was not. Do I need to repeat that?

All that said, I can take a joke, don't get me wrong. But when poking fun, pokes at sore spots, casts a sort of judgment, the joke isn't funny anymore. Words can hurt, use them carefully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment