Monday, January 8, 2024

Snow Memories

It's a snow day. That brings back memories. I love a good snowstorm. I don't love driving in it. I'll admit that makes me anxious. I do love baking during one, watching it snow, reading by the fire, cooking something yummy. Sipping some wine. Hot cocoa with marshmallows, or whipped cream. Maybe both. 

I miss the days when I'd race to Blockbuster to rent movies if I knew school would be cancelled and the kids would be home. I remember making cinnamon rolls for them, lining up all the mittens, snowpants and hats. I miss walking in the snow with my dad at night. There is just something about the quiet, the company and the beauty that is so special.

Then there is another memory, that was just an everyday event, until hindsight gave it new perspective. That moment when your special someone turned into the driveway coming home from work. That feeling of relief they made it safely. I see cars drive by at dusk and I miss one coming home to me. I'm pretty sure that feeling is part of the rest of my life. 

Funny how the rest of your life sneaks up on you. How you used to play in the snow, now you worry about slipping and falling in it. I'd like to go sledding again but admit it sounds scary. I still make snow angels whenever I can. But only when no one's looking, because the getting down and getting up part is not pretty. What are the things you love to do, but only do when no one's looking? Those things need pondering. Lift them up, hold them to the light, examine them. Cherish the memories and perhaps make some new ones. I think we should.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment