Friday, April 2, 2010

Let There Be Cake

I love wedding cake.  Which is funny, because, when I was young (errrr....younger) you only had two choices on wedding cake.  White or Chocolate.  Don't get me wrong those are excellent choices.  Either one, or both, are divine.  Now there are as many choices on wedding cakes as there are applications on an iphone. 

Cake is symbolic of a couples first meal together.  Any meal that starts with dessert is good by me.  Too bad we don't embrace that concept more often.  So often we eat wedding cake without realizing what it means.  It means life is sweet, dessert is anywhere we find it, and everyday is a celebration. 

May I take this opportunity to reflect on the whole "shoving the cake in the face" of your beloved tradition.  Personally, I don't find this funny at all.  Maybe I'm old school.  Maybe couples don't realize the symbolism of sharing the first sweet bite of life together.  True, we often bite off more than we can chew, but let's not force that issue if we don't have too.

So, as to cake - there will be cake.  Perhaps red cake, perhaps white, maybe chocolate.  On the day of the wedding, and every anniversary thereafter.  As sweet as love is, I believe I'll have seconds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment