Sunday, March 21, 2010

Family Jewels

Okay, I know just saying those words can evoke lame thoughts and raunchy jokes.  But, truly, I'd like to talk about the family jewels.

You see, a tradition in my family is for all the brides to wear the same diamond lavalier on their wedding day.  If memory serves me right I was the twelfth bride to wear it.  My Mom wore it, cousins wore it, sister-in-laws wore it too.  I'm guessing some have worn it more than once, and I'd like to be one of them.

Now that I've started this blog I can't tell you for sure who bought the necklace, how the tradition started, and who wore it first.  Guess I should have done my homework.   I shall do that and get back to you with the details.

Too bad more families don't have traditions like this.  We need those ties to bind us.  We need things/events/feelings that honor the women who came before us and those who come after us.  And it doesn't hurt to honor where we are as women in the moment too. 

When the day comes, I hope to be wearing those family jewels.  When that happens, many many women will join me in the spirit of marriage.  I rather like this image.

No comments:

Post a Comment