Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Other Side of the Table

I attended a bridal fair the other day.  Not unusual because I work in the bridal industry.  This time I attended as a maid of honor, for my gf, and as a bride-to-be for myself. 

In all honesty it's hard to think of myself as a bride again.  The current industry is geared toward the young bride.  At least in my head it is.  In reality too it is.  Every girl dreams of her wedding.  Not so much of being married as much as getting married.  It is the stuff of dreams and fantasy.  To this day I love to look at wedding magazines and engagement rings.  Way back when I got married in the '80s it wasn't nearly the dog and pony show it can be now.

If only as much energy was invested in the relationship as dollars are invested in the ceremony.  In all honesty weddings are steeped in tradition.  Most brides do things by rote rather than by picking and choosing what has deep meaning to them.

This time I/we plan to soul search our way through, actually before, during and after.  We plan to lean on the big guy upstairs more.  Always a good course of action if you ask me.  So, it was interesting to attend this bridal event.  More fun than I expected, and an opportunity to weigh what has value to us.

Young brides have no hesitance in jumping into the bridal fray.  I pray this "old" bride has no hesitance in finding her way too.  The focus may be different the second time around, but if nothing else I've learned to celebrate wholeheartedly the joys life brings my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment