Saturday, June 25, 2011

Jitters

The dance the Jitterbug must have been created by a bride-to-be. But overall, I think having jitters is probably a good thing.

The first time around, many many moons ago, I was blissfully unaware of anything but the wedding. He was perfect, I was perfect, life was perfect...all systems go. Boy was I clueless!! This time around I am ever so aware of how not perfect we are and how much more faith has to do with the success of a marriage.

For every time I may roll eyes at something my beloved does, I know he has ample opportunity to do the same. Frankly, this time around it is scarier. That's probably because I wasn't smart enough to be scared the first time around. I am experiencing post traumatic first marriage jitters and jitters for our pending wedding.

Do I doubt that it's the right thing to do? Heaven's no. Do I worry? Oh yes, because I am a woman, and because I am more of a realist now. I worry whether being married will easier or more difficult. I wonder if we'll be lazy about investing in our relationship after the I Do's. I wonder what challenges lay ahead. I wonder if my feet will hurt during the reception, and if my dress will make me look fat. I wonder if I've forgotten anything totally important for the ceremony and reception. I wonder if the airport will close due to flooding making things crazy for our guests.

Jitters? Yup, checking them off the list of things occurring before the wedding. Accepting them, understanding some are valid, some are manufactured and all are okay. Knowing this too will pass and I'm perfectly normal, jitters and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment