Sunday, February 21, 2010

Rings & Things

In a girls life, few things are as symbolic as an engagement ring or a wedding dress.  If you pare down all the other trappings of a wedding, I'm fairly certain the dress and the ring would be least expendable. 

Okay, let me back up just a wee bit here.  The groom is the most important!  Don't get me wrong.  Grooms are pretty crucial to the whole marriage thingy.  Choosing the right groom can make or break a marriage.  After that the ring and the dress fall in place.

As to the ring, it is a symbol of love and commitment.  They come in all shapes and sizes, much like the bride and groom themselves.  Some spend a fortune on them, way more than the investment of self into the relationship.  Some are simple in nature, some are family heirlooms, some, like ours, is a bit of both of us. 

Following my divorce I traded in my wedding set, selected a new stone and had a right-hand ring made.  When I travelled,  I also wore it sometimes on my left, as a "leave-me-alone" ring.  Bling has always been a passion of mine, so it was a pretty decent stone.  We decided to use that stone in my ring.  I'll admit economics factored in, spending money for something we already had seemed silly to both of us.  My beloved provided the setting, I provided the center stone.  It is unique to us, and reflects part of our life journey.

It's about making the best out of second chances.  It's a bit of him and a bit of me.  It honors the past and symbolizes the future.  Now, I know some women could never feel comfortable with this choice.  But, I'm not most women.  It melds two hearts, two lives....it works for us and that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment